NMMC through the Years
The humble beginnings of the Northern Mindanao Medical Center (NMMC) can be traced to a wood and nipa structure in Carmen, in what was then known as the District of Cagayan de Misamis, 100 years ago, during the American occupation of the Philippines . This building was actually a public schoolhouse, which by necessity was converted into an emergency hospital during a cholera outbreak.
In 1919, this small hospital was named the Misamis Public Hospital and it continued to function as a hospital in various health epidemics like smallpox and cholera.
With the continues growth of the population and demand for health services, a new building was constructed in 1932 in the hospital present site near the Provincial Capitol. This was a wooden structure with a 25-bed capacity. However, World War II decimated this building, which was later rehabilitated after the war. Bed capacity was also increased to 50 at this time.
In 1945, the Misamis Public Hospital was renamed the Misamis Oriental Provincial Hospital with Dr. Jose Zamora as the first Chief of Hospital.
In 1956, additional buildings were constructed which increased the total bed capacity to 75 beds.
In 1966, by virtue of Republic Act 4662 which was signed and took effect on June 18, 1966 , the Misamis Oriental Provincial Hospital was converted to Northern Mindanao Regional Training Hospital (NMRTH). Services were departmentalized and it became a teaching hospital, admitting post-graduate interns and offering residency training in various departments. Bed capacity was greatly increased at this time to 200 beds.
The Northern Mindanao community Heart Center a satellite of the Philippine Heart Center was established in the hospital in 1983, in order to address the increasing prevalence of heart disease in the Filipino population.
Republic Act 7938 reclassified NMRTH as a medical center on March 11, 1995 and thus, the Northern Mindanao Medical Center or NMMC was born.
NMMC is a tertiary hospital with a 300-bed capacity. The hospital was indeed gone a long way from simple wood and nipa structure to what it is at present, a fully departmentalized hospital offering top quality medical training to medical and other paramedical graduates.
NMMC at present…
Republic Act No. 10677 was enacted amending RA 7938 increasing its bed capacity from 300 to 600, hence upgrading its facilities and increasing its personnel.
Northern Mindanao Medical Center NMMC at present is situated in an 11,000 square meter area within the Provincial Capitol Compound. It serves not only patients from Cagayan de Oro and Misamis Oriental where it is located, but also receives patients from nearby provinces of Bukidnon, Camiguin, Misamis Occidental, Lanao Norte, Zamboanga del Norte and the Agusan Provinces .